- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Board of Spine Surgery
- American Board of Independent Medical Examiners
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- North American Spine Society
- Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society
- American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- The International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery (ISASS)
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- American Medical Association
A native of Pennsylvania, Dr. McConnell returned to his home state in 2003 to join OAA’s Pennsylvania Spine and Scoliosis Institute. He brings with him an unparalleled level of expertise and training in the discipline of spinal surgery, having completed two spine surgery fellowships and being board certified in both spinal surgery and orthopaedic surgery. Dr. McConnell’s patients benefit not only from his experience and skills as a spinal surgeon, but also from his dedication and caring.
Dr. McConnell was the lead investigator for the SECURE-C Cervical Disc Replacement FDA IDE clinical trial and in a study comparing bone graft substitutes in anterior lumbar fusion surgery. Additionally he is currently the lead investigator at LVH for the two-level Prestige-LP cervical disc replacement IDE clinical trial. He has presented his research in the U.S and internationally at various scientific meetings.
Dr. McConnell had the unique opportunity to complete his second fellowship at the Centre for Spinal Studies and Surgery, Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, England, with a primary focus on surgery for complex spinal deformities. Before joining OAA, he spent ten years in Virginia where he served as co-director of the Division of Spine Surgery at Naval Regional Medical Center, Portsmouth. He held faculty positions at two medical schools and established the Highlands Spine Institute, a center dedicated exclusively to the spine.